Monday, September 26, 2011

robert's 40th birthday southern picnic party

robert's a pretty special guy, so I thought he deserved a pretty special party for his 40th birthday. and I think we definitely accomplished that in a laid-back, southern-sort-of-way. thanks to my incredible parents, with their endless gifts & talents for helping me pull this off (oh, & for owning an awesome party-house). and my sweet sister who used her vacation time to drive six hours just to get here. and to all our friends & family who came (several from other cities & states!) to help shower my "old man" with lots of love & support on the big day. we both feel so blessed to have so many funny, creative, kind & thoughtful people in our lives.

I didn't take pictures of many things that I wish I had- like all the amazing people who came to celebrate with us. but I managed to get a few right as the party started. hope you enjoy.


  {so I made the birthday boy design his own invites. is that so bad?} 

 {I filled lots of little mason jars with wildflowers for decoration} 
{this was a perfect project to practice my sewing skills - 45 cloth napkins} 
{I had a poster printed with all of robert's childhood photos}


{this was my mom's cute spin on the tired (& much-hated by myself) veggie tray. robert made the pimento cheese} 
 {what would a southern party be without two giant pots of boiled p-nuts?} 
{we had mint, sweet tea & lemonade for people to make arnold palmers. refreshing!} 
 {watermelon on sticks}  
 {my mom made the cheese grits & robert cooked the shrimp. I think everyone went back for seconds}  
 {pulled pork sammies, sweet potato chips, cornbread & deviled eggs}  
 {in lieu of birthday cake, I made a bunch of pies (one not pictured). we had parchment, wood fork & baggies to take a slice-to-go} 
  {"ya'll come back" moonpies as favors. yes, I have eaten all the extras by myself}  


  {only one of my corn hole bags busted. can someone teach me how to double-stitch?} 
  {I took this brilliant idea from this woman via pinterest. so easy to set up & tons of fun} 
{my dad set up some bait + poles for people to fish}  


here are a few pics from the surprise "photobooth" that my dad & I set up. we actually didn't get many people it in, but the kids loved it. will post the rest of the pictures later.
{happy birthday, lovah} 

22 comments:

  1. The party looks amazing! You did such a wonderful job! Happy birthday Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every details is more darling than the last! What an absolutely PERFECT party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love all the details and personal touches, this looks like an amazing party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure why but your shots brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely day. So wholesome and looks like so much fun. Robert is a very lucky man!!!

    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the cutest party ever! You did an amazing job! Thanks for calling me brilliant..not sure about that, but sure appreciate the compliment! So glad to have found your blog! Awesome party!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie!
    I love this party and am featuring it this week on my blog: http://www.igoyougoblog.com/ as an event to envy!

    Good work!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally amazing! I am in love with this theme, decor, food...everything! I will be using the twister game for sure at my next party. Thanks for sharing, you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you guys for all your very sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! you took a down home theme and made it so special. I loved it. Especially the food presentation. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW is all I can say. This is a party you only see in the movies. Awesome, awesome job! First time reader this morning, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How Gorgeous! It all looked picture perfect and truly amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you tell me how you made the banners for the twister and cornhole game?
    Thanks.... I love them! We are having games at my sons wedding in August and these would be perfect!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Happy Birthday to Robert. I'm fascinated with this party, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! msulcov@hearst.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi - how do I reach you to reuse one of your photos from this post in Redbook Magazine?
    http://youplusmeforalways.blogspot.com/2011/09/roberts-40th-birthday-southern-picnic.html
    I'm at ptrotto at hearst.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to use a photo of this project on About.com. Please email me at diy@aboutguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Katie,
    would you mind providing one of your photos of the outdoor twister in our newspaper? Pls email me to redaktion.online@wn.de.
    Kind regards from Germany,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like this venue and all party decorations are done brilliantly. I like your venue and even food sections. You really had a great time in this party!!

    party venue nyc

    ReplyDelete
  20. any chance we can get the recipe links?!?! i'd like to re-create this for my GA boy's 50th bday this mo... xoxo thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails